Editor's Pick: My favourite posts from the last 12 months

An area where you can chat to each other and share your views on a local matter.
LauraHammond

Editor's Pick: My favourite posts from the last 12 months

Post by LauraHammond »

Today we are celebrating an incredible milestone - the first anniversary of the launch of the Spirit of Alfreton.

As editor of the site, I have written and read a huge number of posts during that time, ranging from job adverts and press releases from sports clubs to those detailing changes to local services and profiles about local businesses.

I have pulled together a selection of my favourite posts from the last 12 months, all of which demonstrate the incredible community spirit that Alfreton has to offer.

Here are my top five:

Alfreton Town FC offers its grounds as safe haven for community NHS staff

In July last year, Alfreton Town FC invited community-based NHS staff to relax and catch up on work between appointments at the Impact Arena.

The club offered the use of the Impact Arena, totally free of charge, to Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust, enabling staff to take breaks in between visits to patients and catch up on calls in somewhere other than their own vehicles.

At the time, Wayne Bradley, chairman of Alfreton Town FC, said: "We are pleased to have been able to assist the NHS with the use of our facilities and hope that in some small way we have aided the wonderful NHS staff in providing a much needed safe location to re-charge their batteries during difficult times.

"The football club has risen to the challenge placed upon its community during the Covid-19 outbreak and will continue to do so in the future."

Take another look at the story here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=216

Family business donates hundreds of puzzles to children of key workers during Covid-19 crisis

Last year, Just Jigsaws, a small family business, donated hundreds of puzzles to the children of key workers.

In total, the business donated more than 700 of its puzzles, worth more than £8,000.

You can take another look at the story here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=153&p=215&hilit=jigsaws#p215

Academy staff make visors and donate them to local care homes

In April last year, staff at the David Nieper Academy made visors and donated them to staff working in care homes across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

Emily Thorpe, James Turner and Alastair Benton made the visors, which have five parts, including an adjustable band for comfort, using supplies at the school.

Take another look here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70

Family businesses pull together to support the NHS

Last year, David Nieper Ltd swapped women's fashion for PPE and made 7,000 sets of scrubs, 12,500 surgical gowns and 5,000 clinical hoods for 21 British hospitals.

An incredible story in its own right but then JEM Transport, also based in Alfreton, offered to help distribute the PPE to hospitals across the Midlands.

You can read more here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=129&p=186&hilit=jem#p186

Free Meal

In October last year, Just Jigsaws teamed up with Fry Days to provide a free meal to children in need during the half term holidays.

The companies were inspired by footballer Marcus Rashford's campaign around free school meals.

Take another look here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=450

Editor and mum to two small children :D