Easter reflection "Was Jesus really the Son of God?"

An area where you can chat to each other and share your views on a local matter.
Rev Julian
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Easter reflection "Was Jesus really the Son of God?"

Post by Rev Julian »

I reckon that we will all remember this last year for many years to come. Some suggest that the memory will be with us for ever such was the upheaval that the Pandemic caused in one way or another. You may have lost loved ones, you may have lost jobs or livelihoods, the stress may have cause family splits.

Yet we only have to go back just over 100 years to the last time a significant pandemic hit, and that was the Spanish flu in 1918.

During that pandemic of 1918/19, over 50 million people died worldwide and a quarter of the British population were affected. The death toll was 228,000 in Britain alone, and it was estimated that between 10% and 20% of those who were infected died. Yet how many of us would have been aware of it had Covid 19 not appeared? But at the time I am sure that people thought that such was the impact of Spanish flu, it would be remembered by everyone for ever?

One of the comments that is often made to me is how do I know that the first Easter really happened, that Jesus, the Son of God rose from the dead on that first Easter Sunday 2000 years ago?

I could make several points, but the one that I would offer today is that we know how much Covid has affected us in 2020 / 2021, and that something more devastating hit us just 100 years ago yet we have all but forgotten it. So what happened 2000 years ago that affected so many people across the world, that it is still remembered today 2000 years later on? I would argue that nothing else in history has had such an impact on so many people as did that first Easter 2000 years ago. There is nothing that I can think of that we remember or celebrate both as a nation and internationally that goes anywhere near back that far.

The conclusion that I offer to you is that something really very special, unique and life changing happened then. In Jesus’ day there were hundreds of people who claimed to be the son of God, thousands of people were crucified, and yet we remember specifically this one person, what he did and what he said all this time later on. To me there can only be one reason for that, and that is the people then realised that this person Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

So while the memory of Spanish flu comes and goes, and the memory of Covid 19 will fade away, the memory of Jesus and the wonderful gift of life that he gave to us will continue for ever.