Review of the Year: Celebrating how Alfreton pulled together to support others during 2020

An area where you can chat to each other and share your views on a local matter.
LauraHammond

Review of the Year: Celebrating how Alfreton pulled together to support others during 2020

Post by LauraHammond »

As a writer it's not very often that I find myself lost for words but I'm at a total loss on how to sum up 2020.

We all know too well the ups and downs that this year has brought - and with Alfreton now in Tier 4, it seems to be ending on a less positive note than I would have liked.

But I must remind myself that there is much to be celebrated when looking back on 2020 - and it starts with the launch of the Spirit of Alfreton at the beginning of April in response to the first national lockdown.

The website was designed to provide useful information about local support services and details about the national restrictions, and I hope we've managed - and still are managing - to fulfil that aim.

Our website has grown and evolved since then - but we are still a platform where the community of Alfreton can come together.

We provide a lot of information about what's going on locally - planning applications, changes to local services etc - but what we're really passionate about is giving the community a voice and raising the profile of all the good things that happen in Alfreton.

We've seen so many brilliant examples of this. David Nieper Ltd came to the aid of the NHS by making scrubs and gowns for hospitals across the country. In turn, JEM Transport showed their support for the NHS by offering to deliver the scrubs and gowns to hospitals across the Midlands.

Just Jigsaws donated hundreds of puzzles to the children of key workers during the first lockdown and, in October, the company collaborated with Fry Days to provide free meals to children during the half term holidays.

We've also seen brilliant support for the community from Alfreton Town FC. In the summer, the club opened up the Impact Arena and offered its use - totally free of charge - to community-based NHS staff so they had a place to work and relax between patient visits.

More recently, Alfreton Town FC has pledged to donate 300 branded face masks to local schools as part of a sponsorship deal with Alfreton Town Council.

I could go on...

As horrible as this year has been, there is, on reflection, much to be proud of.

I end this year very proud to be the editor of the Spirit - thank you so much to everybody who has supported us, we have lots of exciting plans for 2021!

More importantly though, I'm proud to be part of the Alfreton community. I hope that one day, when all this is over, I'll be able to get out and meet more of you in person.

For now though, all that's left to say is I wish you a very safe and happy New Year!

Editor and mum to two small children :D